Since I can remember it’s always been easier to pull out the debit card and buy a pre-made dinner opposed to making my own after a hard days’ work. Although this recently became slightly unsatisfying as I consistently allow food to burn a hole through my pocket, not fun!
I mean, where’s my paycheque going?
To alleviate some of this unnecessary spending I finally took up the joys of cooking and I’m certainly glad I did. One super tasty, easy and fast dish to make is the Italian Baked Goat Cheese Salad that I try to incorporate into our dinners at least once a week.
Goat cheese on its’ own is one of my absolute favourite foods, more particularly a herb & garlic blend. Once soaked in a homemade Italian bread crumb mixture, baked and added to a bed of mixed greens, fresh fruit and some nuts; it becomes a luxurious meal that will have folk asking for second.
So, want to know how it’s done?
Well read on down…
To make 3 SERVINGS, here’s what we’re going to need:
For the Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs:
- 3/4 cup of unseasoned Bread Crumbs,
- 1/2 teaspoon of Salt,
- 1/2 teaspoon of Black Pepper,
- 1/2 teaspoon of Basil,
- 1/2 teaspoon of Oregano,
- 1/2 teaspoon of Garlic Powder,
- 1/2 teaspoon of Onion Powder.
Before we go any further I’m going to suggest you mix each item into a bowl with the bread crumbs, mix and set aside now to get it done and out of the way.
Now we can begin with the salad, and here’s what you’re going to need.
For the Italian Baked Goat Cheese Salad:
- 2 Eggs,
- 1 Teaspoon of Dijon Mustard,
- 4 Teaspoons of a Cooking Oil,
- 3/4 Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs,
- 140 grams of Herb & Garlic Goat Cheese,
- 5 ounces of Mixed Greens,
- Fruit of your choice (I jump between Granny Smith apples and Strawberries),
- 1/3 cup of Pecan Halves or Walnuts,
- Italian Style Salad Dressing,
- *1/2 cup of Grated Parmeasan – OPTIONAL*
How to prepare:
- Start by cracking and mixing the two eggs with the dijon mustard. This will serve as your paste that you will soon soack the goat cheese in.
- Cut the goat cheese into 1/4 inch slices and then roll them into balls.
- Having your Italian style bread crumbs, egg mixture and goat cheese out in front of you; soack each goat cheese ball in the egg and dijon mixture, then roll them in the Italian style bread crumbs and set aside on a cooking tray lined with foil.
- Once completed all goat cheese balls, flatten each one into a disk and then place the tray in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 475.
- Once the 30 minutes are up, lightly dress each disk with cooking oil and place in the oven for 6-8 minutes.
- During this time prepare a bowl for each person eating with the mixed greens, small bits of the fruit you have selected as well as with either of the nuts.
- Once the goat cheese is done baking place the desired amount on the salad, dress with Italian dressing and serve to your guests.
Like I said, I find myself making this dish at least once a week not only because of its’ simplicity but also because of the tasteful explosion with each bite. Before discovering the powers of baked goat cheese I wasn’t even that much of a salad lover and I now find myself craving them often.
If I could put goat cheese on everything I certainly would, which is why I’m definitely glad that you can’t.
Well go on then, enjoy this dish as much as I do and give me some of your feedback feedback, I want to know your thoughts on the Italian Baked Goat Cheese Salad.